Friday, July 25, 2014

Postmodern Art: Leaning Cradle

Dr Abe V Rotor
Also visit my other Blogs:
[avrotor.blogspot.com]
[Living with Nature]
[naturalism - the eighth sense] 

I wonder at the huge size of  the wooden cradle leaning to the front and on one side;

I wonder at the absence of one whole side facing the street, and the cradle leaning towards the traffic; 

Author and the Leaning Cradle at downtown Bangkok. 

I wonder at the absence of a flooring, for how could it be a cradle without it which is the essence of its function;

I wonder at the support, half rocking sideways, while the other half is fixed like post, permanent and immovable;

I wonder at how the cradle defies gravity, even without a central body and weight which rest on the center of gravity;

I wonder at its precarious structure, its joints loosely hanging on wooden pegs and few simple bolts;

I wonder at it symbolism - is it the end of an era of child bearing and caring, traditional and domestic way?

I wonder at the impermanence of the cradle, now transient - and if the child who was weaned here knows the meaning of home; 

I wonder if society can read the message of this postmodern structure in our postmodern world. 

I wonder if postmodernism means living in the future in free fall, remiss and abandoned of things we love most in life. ~      

No comments:

Post a Comment