Today, carnations can be found in a wide range of colors, and while in general they express love, fascination and distinction, virtually every color carries a unique and rich association.
- White carnations suggest pure love and good luck,
- Light red symbolizes admiration,
- Dark red represents deep love and affection,
- Purple carnations imply capriciousness,
- Pink carnations carry the greatest significance, beginning with the belief that they first appeared on earth from the Virgin Mary’s tears – making them the symbol of a mother's undying love.
- Mother's Day,
- Teacher's Day,
- St. Patrick's Day (March 17, 2015),
- Wedding ceremonies,