Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Love the Mangrove (15 Reasons)

I love the mangrove for its rich biodiversity - flora and fauna, protista and monera - in chains and webs.
Dr Abe V Rotor
 
 

Mangrove reforestation attempt to restore the shoreline ecosystem in Guimaras after the oil spill disaster in 2006. To this date the ecosystem has not been restored.

I love the mangrove for building a natural wall against tidal waves and tsunami, at the edge of the sea; 


I love the mangrove for providing a nursery for fish and other aquatic life, weaning them to the open sea;


I love the mangrove for rip-rapping the shores and banks against erosion, and building soil in the process;


I love the mangrove for its rich biodiversity - flora and fauna, protists and monera - in chains and webs;


I love the mangrove for filtering the salt and dust in the air, and buffering noise into sweet sound; 


I love the mangrove for the legends and tales it holds - of fairies and mermaids, of pirates and treasures; 


I love the mangrove for its unique life cycle - self-regenerating, self-fertilizing, needing no cultivation; 


I love the mangrove for the countless valuable materials it gives, from timber, to firewood, tannin, to medicine;


I love the mangrove for keeping the surroundings cool, freshening the air, absorbing carbon in the air;


I love the mangrove for its mixed stand of vegetation by layers, making a distinct forest of its own kind;


I love the mangrove for being the home of migrating birds coming and going every season of the year; 


I love the mangrove for being the home of rare species, heretofore barely studied and identified;


I love the mangrove for its resistance to pollution, and ability to help nature's housekeeping;


I love the mangrove for its being a natural tourists' attraction, field laboratory, and educational center;


I love the mangrove for its humility and persistence, even in a most hostile environment; 


I love the mangrove for what it is, without it, there are species that cannot survive, humans among them;


I love the mangrove for being part of creation, for every living thing has a purpose on earth. ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment